Longing for strawberry pie, but you don’t want to heat up your kitchen? My two different raw strawberry pie recipes will do the trick. Version one is below. Click here for version two.
Creamy Strawberry Pie (Serves 6-8)
2 cups raw walnuts
1/2 cup dates, pitted
2 teaspoons water
1/8 cup dried coconut – for the bottom of the pan.
6 cups fresh strawberries (measured whole if small, or cut in half if large; these are for filling, you will need extra for garnishing if desired)
2 cup raw cashews, unsoaked
6 Tbsp Michigan raw honey (or substitute agave nectar if vegan)
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 pinches sea salt
2 tsp lemon zest (stir in after pureeing)
Extra strawberries for garnishing, optional
1. Process the walnuts, dates, and water in the food processor.
2. Sprinkle dried coconut onto the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch spring form pan. This will prevent the crust from sticking.
3. Press crust onto the prepared pan.
4. To make the filling, blend all listed filling ingredients except the lemon zest. Blend until smooth, stir in lemon zest, and adjust to taste.
5. Pour the mixture onto the crust. Remove air bubbles by tapping the pan on a table.
6. Place in the freezer until firm (at least 5 – 6 hours). After this time, the pie will be partially set, but can be sliced. You can freeze it longer, and remove the pie about 20 minutes before serving, to slice easily. (Must be served partially frozen for best texture.)
LEARN TO EAT LOCAL at MI Local Foodbeet