It’s Throwback Thursday! I love strawberries, and this recipe includes fresh strawberries, dried strawberries, and strawberry yogurt. I posted it to my old blog page after revising it from a recipe that I saw in the Grand Rapids Press a couple of years ago. It’s healthy too!
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
3 large local eggs, at room temperature
1 cup low-fat strawberry yogurt (I used Thomas)
1 cup Michigan honey
1/3 cup vegetable oil
½ cup dried strawberries
2 cups of fresh strawberries, chopped and mashed for topping
– In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
– Add eggs, yogurt, honey, and oil.
– Using an electric mixer on medium-low speed, beat for one minute until blended.
– Scrape sides and bottom of bowl with a spatula. Then, beat on medium speed for one minute.
– Stir in the dried strawberries.
– Spread the batter in a 9-inch square metal pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
– Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert the cake onto the rack and cool completely. Serve with mashed berries on top.